California Department Of Water Resources - State of California - Fails to Pay for SaveOurWater Rebate Program

3.0

I strongly feel the Save Our Water Turf Rebate Program is unreasonable and unrealistic. It only allows for a max coverage of 25% of only 4 approved ground covers of which we only preferred one of the options. We also prefer over 40% of our small front yard to be synthetic turf. It’s a beautiful, no-water alternative that lasts 10 years. If our yard was larger, we would have had more design options...but we chose the most appealing water-saving option to match our property.

As much as we wanted to take advantage of the SaveOurWater Turf Rebate Program to install a drought-tolerant yard, we owuld have been forced to use only 25% of our preferred, highly permeable, drought tolerant material. So, we succeed at saving water while California keeps the $558 we could have been rewarded with if we would have settled for the limited materials they chose for us. Interestingly enough, our application was pre-approved even with all details of our design provided, only to be disapproved when we asked for the rebate.

Additionally, we replaced 3 old toilets in our new home, opting for water-saving models offered by Koehler that came with a rebate "up to" $100 per toilet. They cost more, but the water saving was worth it – and the rebate was a great incentive. Toilets were installed last week and my husband began the rebate application this morning; however, he was immediately shot down when the SaveOurWater High Efficiency Toilet Program announced that rebate requests were too overwhelming and they aren’t honoring the rebates any longer. False advertising.

Product or Service Mentioned: California Department Of Water Resources Rebate.

Reason of review: False Advertising / Unreasonable Requirements.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Excellent email response system.

I didn't like: Emailing with the program trying to answer a confusing question.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Oct 12, 2016.

California Department Of Water Resources - California Save our Water Rebate fails to pay

1.8

Update by user Jul 23, 2016

After complaining to the office of the

Governor of the State of California,

the Department of Water Resources approved the full

1000 square feet. Can't find contractors to do replace sod for $2000 and give up my nice water thirsty sod.

Original review posted by user Jul 13, 2016

California Save our Water Rebate fails to honor condition 'existing operational turf irrigation systems' and denies application.

California's SaveOurWater program is not complying with the Governor's order.

My backyard is not bare earth. Evidence of previous lawn exists per photos submitted to program.

Here is a copy of email to SaveOurWater:

Your California SaveOurWater department

offered a courtesy adjustment

after I explained situation yesterday and approve backyard

for the 1000 sq ft.

I again remind the department they are in breech

to repeatedly deny my application.

I demand honoring condition of program copied and pasted

below:

Saveourwater

1. LANDSCAPE-SPECIFIC TERMS AND CONDITIONS

2. Turf may be living or dead at the time of application for a reservation. Evidence of previous lawn such as existing turf, borders, remnants of turf, or existing operational turf irrigation systems may also be acceptable. Bare earth areas with no sign of turf are not eligible.

Product or Service Mentioned: California Department Of Water Resources Rebate.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

• Saveourwater
Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Jul 13, 2016.